Saving with U.S. Savings Bonds
Helping People Save - Ready.Save.Grow. is a U.S. Department of the Treasury initiative to help people save and take control of their future.
Setting money aside for the future is an important step toward reaching your long-term goals, whether that means saving for your child’s college education or preparing for a more comfortable retirement. Learn how convenient saving can be with Treasury securities.
Treasury savings options are:
- Affordable. You don’t need a lot of money to save with Treasury savings options. You can purchase a savings bond for just $25 and other Treasury securities starting at $100.
- Safe. You can safely buy and manage Treasury savings options online through the Treasury Department's secure TreasuryDirect web-based system.
- Convenient. You can buy Treasury securities online, 24/7—no more waiting in line. You also can purchase savings bonds or other Treasury securities automatically through payroll direct deposit.
Get Ready to Save and Grow your savings and gain control over your future.
Another great time to save with U.S. Savings Bonds is at Tax Time! U.S. Savings Bonds are one safe and easy way to do it.
There are a lot of great reasons to buy U.S. Savings Bonds at tax time.
- You do not need a lot to get started — start with as little as $50. Use just part of your tax refund to start saving.
- It is simple at tax time. Just select the amount you want saved from your income tax refund and you’ll receive your bond in the mail.
- Earn interest. Your money starts growing immediately.
- Bonds are safe. Bonds will never lose value and they are backed by the U.S. Government.
- No fees. There are no fees to buy or cash in your bond.
- Money for the future. You help your loved ones live their dreams when you buy bonds.
- Gift savings to your loved ones. Bonds can be purchased in someone else’s name – so you can help jumpstart the savings and dreams of the people you care about.
What are tax time bonds?
Tax Time Savings Bonds are Series I U.S. Savings Bonds. Issued and guaranteed by the U.S. Treasury Department, Tax Time Savings Bonds can be purchased directly on your tax form. You can cash in your bond after one year at most banks or credit unions, but the longer your keep it the more it will grow in value. Your bond will earn interest for up to 30 years. If you cash your bond within 5 years, you’ll lose the last three months of interest.
The current interest rate on Series I Savings Bonds is 3.1% through April 30, 2012, and will adjust for inflation every six months. Bonds offer competitive returns in comparison with other savings vehicles.*
Growth on your bonds is guaranteed! Bonds make saving safe, simple and secure.
- Written by Super User
- Category: Uncategorised
- Published: 09 May 2012