January 2021: Tax Time Savings Resource Packet
Is it really that time of year again? Filling out IRS forms is not necessarily enjoyable, but many military families eagerly anticipate tax season because they see it as a time when they get a windfall bonus in the form of a tax refund. It’s also a time when many Americans fall prey to tax-related scams.
At Military Saves, we believe that it’s essential to go into tax season understanding possible credits and deductions, but also with a plan for a potential refund. A tax refund is a great way to kickstart an emergency fund or to pay off debt.
We’ve gathered resources, tips, and social media posts to help make tax filing easier and less stressful.
Social Media Posts
Social media handles/pages
- Facebook: @MilitarySaves https://www.facebook.com/MilitarySaves
- Instagram: @military.saves https://www.instagram.com/military.saves/
- LinkedIn: @MilitarySaves https://www.linkedin.com/company/military-saves
- Twitter: @MilitarySaves https://twitter.com/MilitarySaves
Know how to spot a scam during #tax season. The team at @MilitarySaves has hot tips for you about the IRS.
Many military families receive a large #tax return each year. Which areas of your life will you fund? @MilitarySaves highlights five ideas for you.
Free tax preparation is an easy way to save lots of cash this #tax season. Here are resources from the team at @MilitarySaves, and be sure to check out their blog post for more details: https://militarysaves.org/blog/1727-three-free-we-promise-ways-to-file-your-taxes
You’re expecting money, now what? Here’s a simple breakdown plan in percentages for your #tax return from @MilitarySaves.
Social Media Conversation Starters*
Direct Engagement Posts, Questions, and Topics our partners can ask their audience to drive conversations around our monthly theme.
Partners will be encouraged to tag us in the comments and ask for our thoughts to contribute to the conversation.
- What was the best thing you’ve done with your tax refund?
- If you had one tip for a new service member/military family about how to use their tax refund, what would it be?
- Have you ever had your taxes prepared for free? What tool would you recommend?
- What’s something new you can do with your tax refund this year?
- Are you in the military and getting ready to do your taxes? Make sure you know how to file for free (CFPB)
- Filing Military Taxes While You Are Deployed (Military OneSource)
- MilTax: Free Military Tax Return Preparation Services & Filing (Military OneSource)
- About VITA, Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (Military OneSource) - Military members, including retirees, are eligible to receive free tax consultation and preparation through Volunteer Income Tax Assistance locations.
- Tax Information for Members of the Military (IRS)
New Blog Posts
- TBD, stay tuned!
- TBD, stay tuned!
From the Archives
Past blog posts/resources from MS/AS