Three FREE (We Promise!) Ways to File Your Taxes
Did you know there are ways to file your taxes for FREE? No strings attached. Free tax preparation is an easy way to save lots of cash during tax season. The average cost of commercial tax return preparation is around $220, but some taxpayers pay well above that for a simple tax return.
Ways to file your taxes for FREE:
- Visit an IRS FREE Tax Preparation Site. Most communities across the U.S. have multiple tax preparation sites available starting mid-January through April.
- Military IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is available for service members and their families. Certified tax preparers are trained on military tax issues, including tax benefits for service in a combat zone. Visit https://www.militaryonesource.mil/vita-location-lookup to find a Military VITA site near you.
- The IRS VITA program offers tax preparation for households or individuals whose income does not exceed $56,000/year. Visit https://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/ or call 800-906-9887 to find a free VITA tax preparation site near you.
- IRS Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) or AARP Tax-Aide is available for all taxpayers (no income limit), with a focus on those who are 60+. Visit https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/ or call 888-227-7669 to find a TCE AARP Tax-Aide free tax preparation site near you.
- Do it yourself online (FREE!)
- Free File Fillable Forms are available on the IRS website and are recommended for more experienced taxpayers who know how to do taxes https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-fillable-forms/free-file-fillable-forms-is-closed.
Written by Lila Quintiliani
Published: 30 January 2020